Just like curtains are an essential aspect of the interiors of your house, RV curtains hold a lot of importance to set the vibe of your travel trailer and make it feel like a home away from home. Not only that, but RV curtains also ensure privacy and act as an insulating layer over the windows. However, adorning your beloved RV with the right set of curtains is certainly not as easy as it sounds. After all, choosing one out of a thousand options is quite a demanding task, but we are here to your rescue.
This article is all about RV curtains, where we hope to make this buying journey easier for you through a detailed buyer’s guide. We will also go through a list of the best RV curtains you can find in the market in 2020, along with their reviews so that you can pick out the best set of curtains for your RV.
The 5 Best RV Curtains in 2020
- READY MADE: Package includes 2 blackout curtain panels. 3" rod pocket top fits most...
- SOFT FABRIC - Super heavy and soft fabric adopt the triple weave technology, panels with...
- WELL MADE: 2 panels curtains per package. 1.6-inch inner diameter grommets fit easily with...
- AMAZING MATERIAL: Super heavy and soft Blackout Drape Panels are very upmarket. No...
- 2 Piece Short Panels with Standard Rod Pocket for ANY Small Window up to 56"X24" (28"X24"...
- Suitable for kitchen, infant room, basement, bedroom, bathroom, living room, laundry room,...
- WELL MADE - Sold as 2 panels. Each Panel measures 42" wide x 36" long with 3" rod pocket...
- HOME DECOR - Small Curtains suit most of the places and you can use them as tiers or...
- Two solid tier window curtains for the kitchen window. Sold as a pair, each tier panel...
- The curtain sets rod pocket measures 3 inch fits 1.5'' rods in the market, convenient for...
For many travelers and adventurists, modern Recreational vehicles (RVs) are a home away from home. After all, a standard RV is a lot bigger and spacious than an average car, so it has a lot of capacity to house you and some essentials so that you can survive on the road. Adding curtains to your camper vehicle can do a lot more than ensuring privacy as it can completely transform the aesthetics of the place.
However, many RV owners get confused when choosing curtains for their RV since there’s a bewildering array of variety to choose from. Moreover, a lot of factors come into play and influence your choice, which can make the process a lot more difficult. In this section of the article, you’ll find some crucial factors you should remember while choosing RV curtains along with some helpful tips to assist you along the way. We have also answered some FAQs to clear out any confusion you might have.
No matter if you’re going for RV window treatments for the first time or just renovating the interiors of your camper truck, keeping the following factors in mind can help you make the best choice.
Aesthetics are perhaps one of the most critical aspects of your RV as they can make it feel more inviting, cozy, and homely. You can decide on a color scheme for the interior of your RV and then choose the RV window treatments to match that. Also, you can find fabrics with stylish prints to complement the overall interior looks of your travel trailer. So, you can purchase this fabric and make DIY RV curtains as well. This gives you a lot of freedom to experiment and see what looks best. Here are some cool and helpful fabric buying tips for your RV curtains:
- Buy fabric by yards to save money. You can repurpose the leftover fabric for other projects later on.
- Fabric liners can be attached to thin fabrics to make blackout curtains.
- Heavy fabric materials may need to be mounted on rods, so avoid buying them if you want to hand the RV curtains with the help of strings.
- If the fabric you buy is patterned, make sure to cut them out symmetrically so that the patterns on the curtains align with one another.
- Wash and iron the new fabric before cutting.
RV Window Size
After aesthetics, the next thing that should not skip your mind is the size of the RV windows. You need to ensure that the RV curtains you’re picking will fit in the window. Even if you plan on making DIY RV curtains, you still need to have your RV window measurements so that you can buy the material accordingly. Keep the following tips in mind while measuring the dimensions of your RV windows.
- Measure using a steel tape
- Round the measured height and width to the nearest 1/8th inch
- Use templates to get the exact measurements if the windows are angled
Amount of Insulation
The amount of insulation you require for your travel trailer is an important aspect you need to take care of when finalizing the RV window treatments. RV windows allow the entry of heat (or cold) to enter into the inside of your van, and hence, getting the right amount window treatments can help in regulating the temperatures naturally. For instance, solar shades allow some light to enter while cutting down the amount of heat that can come inside. Likewise, cellular shades prevent the cold, conditioned air from the inside to escape out.
Level of Privacy
Just like the amount of insulation an RV curtain offers can vary, the offered level of privacy you can expect from them also differs based on the type and material of the RV window treatments. Those with thicker fabrics and materials provide a higher level of privacy, but those with a less-dense material (like solar shades) allow some light to enter inside and so offer less privacy.
Ease of Installation
The type of RV curtains you go for also depends on how easily you want them to be installed. Some RV curtains need to be put in place with the help of curtain rods while come shades and reflectors can just be fixed in the RV windows.
Ease of Cleaning
Since you and your RV will be on the road most of the time, it should come as no surprise that the RV curtains can end up catching a lot of dirt. This means that they need to be cleaned more often, which can be a lot of hassle – trust us. However, you can make your life easier by choosing RV curtains of a type and material that can be cleaned easily. For example, flat roller shades are considered to be easily cleanable by most RV owners.
RV spends most of the time on the road, and so every component you have inside, it should be durable enough to withstand all the bumps and jerks that come their way. The same holds for RV curtains as well – they should be made of a material that is not too gentle so that it does not get torn with regular use.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Best Type of RV Curtains?
The type of RV curtains you go for really depends on your needs and requirements. You can use solar blinds if you want to make good use of natural light minus the heat. Likewise, you can use day-night curtains to block out the harmful rate of the sun during the mornings and sleep without any external light disturbance during the night.
How to Make RV Curtains?
You can make your own DIY RV curtains by following some simple instructions. To get started, you need to buy the fabric. Here is how you can make RV window treatments yourself.
What you’ll need:
- Sewing machine and threads
- Safety pins
- Measuring tape
What to do:
- Measure the windows follows the instructions given above and add 2 inches on each side to be folded
- Mark the measurements on the fabric using a pencil and then cut the curtains accordingly
- Fold the extra 2 inches from the top towards the inner side to create a tunnel and pin them up.
- Sew the open end of the tunnel – this will be inserted in the curtain rod.
- Sew the remaining edges, and you’re good to go.
How to Hang Curtains in RV?
You can use curtains rod or simply a piece of string to hand curtain in your vehicle. In either case, you will need to screw some holes to fix the rod or string in place. You can also use Velcro on your curtains and the windows to hang the curtains easily and remove them whenever needed without any hassle.
How to Clean RV Window Treatments?
Ideally, you should regularly vacuum the curtains to ensure that they remain clean and dirt-free. If the curtains get stained, you can use a spot cleaner to get rid of that. You can also wash your curtains by soaking them in soapy water and rinsing them properly afterward, but avoid the use of washing machines or bleaching agents.
Just like you want full privacy inside your home, you should take steps to ensure that you travel (and live) with privacy in your RV. RV curtains are the best way to do that, but apart from that, they also add in some color to the interiors of your travel trailer. Having said that, buying the right RV curtains is a complicated process, but we hope that after reading this article, your life will become a lot easier. Do check out a list of the best curtains for RVs in 2020 – who knows you might find just what you’ve been looking for. Happy shopping!