When you are out on the road with your travel trailer, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not your trailer is going to sway. That’s why it’s important to consider investing in a sway bar for your travel trailer. A sway bar can help reduce the amount of swaying and rocking that can occur when driving, making for a much smoother ride. But do you actually need a sway bar for your travel trailer?
2. What is a Sway Bar?
A sway bar is a device that helps reduce the amount of body roll or side-to-side movement when driving. It is typically mounted between the frame and axle of the trailer, and it works by transferring some of the weight from one side of the trailer to the other as it moves over bumps or uneven surfaces. This helps keep the trailer more stable and reduces any potential swaying that could occur while driving.
3. Reasons Why You Need a Sway Bar for Your Travel Trailer
There are several reasons why you should consider investing in a sway bar for your travel trailer:
• Improved Handling – Installing a sway bar will help improve handling when driving, especially on rough roads or uneven surfaces. The added stability provided by the sway bar will help keep your travel trailer from rocking back and forth, which can make for an uncomfortable ride.
• Increased Safety – A sway bar can also help increase safety when driving, as it helps to keep your travel trailer more stable and less likely to roll over if you take a sharp corner too quickly or hit an unexpected bump in the road.
• Reduced Wear and Tear – By helping to reduce body roll, installing a sway bar can also help reduce wear and tear on suspension components such as shocks and springs, as they don’t have to work as hard to keep everything stable while driving.
• Improved Fuel Efficiency – Installing a sway bar can also help improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag on your vehicle caused by body roll while driving. This can lead to improved gas mileage over time and lower fuel costs overall.
4. The Benefits of Installing a Sway Bar on Your Travel Trailer
In addition to improved handling, increased safety, reduced wear and tear, and improved fuel efficiency mentioned above; there are several other benefits that come with installing a sway bar on your travel trailer:
• Easier Maneuvering – A good quality sway bar will make maneuvering easier when backing up or turning corners due to its ability to transfer weight from one side of the trailer to another as needed; this helps reduce any excessive weight placed on one side which makes turning easier overall.
• Improved Ride Quality – By reducing body roll while driving, installing a good quality sway bar will also improve ride quality by providing increased stability which leads to less bouncing around inside the cabin while going over bumps or uneven surfaces; this makes for a much smoother ride overall.
5 Different Types of Sway Bars Available for Travel Trailers
When it comes time to install a new sway bar onto your travel trailer there are several different types available depending on what kind of performance you’re looking for:
• Mono-Tube Sway Bars – These are typically used in lighter duty applications such as small trailers or pop-up campers due their low cost but they do provide some level of stability in certain situations; however they may not be suitable for larger trailers due their limited load capacity compared with other types of bars available
• Dual-Tube Sway Bars – These bars offer increased performance over mono-tube bars due their larger diameter tubes which provide greater load capacity; they are ideal for larger trailers where more stability is desired such as fifth wheelers
6 How To Install A Sway Bar On Your Travel Trailer
Installing a new sway bar onto your travel trailer isn’t overly difficult but does require some basic mechanical knowledge so if you’re not comfortable doing it yourself then it would be best left up to an experienced mechanic; however if you do decide to tackle this project yourself here is what you need know:
• Make sure that all necessary parts are present before beginning installation • Follow all instructions provided with the kit carefully • Take necessary safety precautions such as wearing protective gloves & eyewear • Make sure that all bolts & nuts are tightened securely before use • Have an experienced mechanic check all connections & fasteners once installation has been completed
7 How To Maintain And Care For Your Sway Bar
Once installed properly maintaining & caring for your new swaybar should be relatively easy; here are some tips that will help ensure optimal performance: • Check all bolts & nuts periodically throughout its life span & tighten them if necessary • Check connections regularly & replace any worn out parts immediately • Clean & lubricate moving parts regularly using appropriate products • Inspect steering components regularly & replace worn out parts immediately • Have an experienced mechanic check all connections & fasteners at least once per year
Installing a good quality anti-sway system onto your travel trailer can provide numerous benefits such as improved handling, increased safety, reduced wear & tear on suspension components, improved fuel efficiency; plus easier maneuverability & improved ride quality overall making it well worth considering investing in one if you plan on taking long trips with your RV anytime soon!
9 FAQs About Sway Bars For Travel Trailers
Q1: Do I need a special type of tow vehicle in order use an anti-sway system? A1: No – most modern tow vehicles should be able handle most standard anti-sway systems without issue but always consult with manufacturer recommendations prior purchasing/installing any type system onto vehicle/trailer combination just make sure everything works together properly!